James Purdey & Sons have been making the finest quality guns, rifles and shooting equipment in London, since 1814, when James Purdey the Elder opened in a small shop in Princes Street, off Leicester Square.
His reputation for making the very best of ‘Best’ London guns soon spread, and in a little over a decade he had established premises at 314 ½ Oxford Street, in the former gunshop of ‘King of Gunmakers’ Joseph Manton.
Queen Victoria ordered her first Purdeys in 1838: a pair of pistols, as a royal gift to the Imam of Muscat. Her eldest son the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, granted his Royal Warrant to the founder’s son, James Purdey the Younger, in 1868. Each succeeding monarch since than has placed their faith in Purdey’s, including our present Queen.